Monday, August 6, 2012

The only school supplies you really need...

New pencils, backpacks, markers, loose-leaf paper, colored folders...this is what back-to-school is all about, right?

I used to love school supplies, before I had kiddo and was presented with "the list."  You know, the list that mandates you have construction paper and Manila paper both in sizes that are the exact OPPOSITE of the first three stores you check. 

Back-to-school always has me thinking cookies.  {Let's be honest, most every time of year does.}  I'm not sure if my mother really *did* always have freshly baked cookies for us on the first day of school, or I invented that memory.  Either way, back-to-school gives me cookie brain.

With school just around the corner, you may want to whip up a batch of these for lunchboxes or an after-school treat.  Or, maybe just maybe...eat the entire batch yourself.  I'll never tell.


Nutella-Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies

{makes 24}

24 teaspoons Nutella
2 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips

Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper.  Dollop on 24 teaspoons of Nutella.  Freeze for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt.  Set aside.

In a large bowl of an electric mixer, use the paddle attachment to cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in the vanilla.

Add the flour on low speed in three additions.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Chill in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350.  Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Scoop the chilled dough 2" apart onto the cookie sheets with a 2 TBSP cookie scoop, or use a spoon.  With your fingers, pull the cookie dough apart in the middle and place a frozen Nutella dollop inside.  Cover with the remaining dough.
{Between batches, place the Nutella back in the freezer.}

Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, until done, but still soft.  Let sit on the cookie sheet for two minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.

{{psst....if you love the idea of Nutella in a cookie, be sure to check out Dara's Nutella & Sea Salt  Stuffed Sugar Cookies.  They are DIVINE!}}

The only back-to-school supplies you really need?  Cookies.


52 comments:

  1. SO true! Do I still get to make myself fresh cookies even if I'm going back to grad school? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks sooo yummy! I'm posting Nutella treats on my blog right now (fudge, pudding, etc.). I MUST try these :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice idea to freeze that Nutella. Of course, in the summer that's a little dangerous since I'll just want to pop it right into my mouth and all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yah!! LOVE Nutella on just about everything :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this version, Bridget! I know my boys would be elated to find some of these cookies in their lunch boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO genius, Bridget! Love that you froze the Nutella scoops beforehand so they're uber gooey and melty inside. Totally making these--they're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're killing me smalls.
    Killing me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. O my...I was going to make cut-out cookies for our hardworking teachers....npt now! These look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen to that! These are AMAZING!! I need them in my life RIGHT NOW! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. those little balls of nutella inside those perfect little cookie dough balls...mmm, the stuff dreams are made of!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yum I will have to do this for back to school!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, these look great! I looove nutella!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, yes and yes!! I am going to win Camilla's kindergarden teachers with these cookies her first day of class!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm...Looks so good! I love nutella!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you have discovered the secret to a successful school year - cookies! Please don't tell Little Buddy though. His first day back was in Williamsburg - but there was some ice cream. :) Hope Kiddo has a fan-tabulous year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a great idea! always looking for "nu nutella" recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excuse me!
    Am I seeing things?
    Frozen Nutella balls!
    Toss a few of those to Bainbridge would ya!
    xo
    Can't believe it's already time to think about school supplies!
    Summer goes by WAY too fast!
    ENJOY those last few days!
    Eat a cookie for me!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Be still my Nutella loving heart...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am certain that these must be illegal in certain states of this country!!!!

    You are killing me (or at least any attempt at my diet)! Yikes, girl, I gotta makes these now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. In the name of all that is good in the world!! I need one of those ASAP!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think kids have a way of fixating a memory of something fun that happened once or twice, and saying that it happened all the time. But who cares if you invented the memory - these cookies look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are definitely the only school supplies I need, because I am a graduate student and don't need any other school supplies anymore! Yum yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it!!! Back to school totally means cookie time to me too:-) And any cookie stuffed with ooey gooey Nutella gets an A+ from me:-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I'm bookmarking this one! Yummmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  25. yum!!! that's pretty much all I can say :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, these look amazing! I might have to make these for my nephews who are visiting this week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. My two loves, Nutella and cookies...I think you may have achieved recipe perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am a huge Nutella fan! And a huge cookie fan, too :) So these are perfect for me

    ReplyDelete
  29. I want these in my lunchbox! I want these in my lunchbox! I would go back to school just to have these lovely cookies in my lunchbox!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. unfortunately most of the schools in Sydney won't allow nutella in your lunch - because of other kids and their nut allergies. I'll be making these to eat at home instead!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'll gladly go back to school for these! Okay, maybe just one day. The thought of having to relearn a locker combination freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete
  32. My mom may have made back to school cookies once in awhile but I know for certain that she never made anything like these. They look soooo good and now I think of jealous of Kiddo and his lunch box ;)

    Hope he has a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just made this for my son - a 9 year old boy who asked for a jar of Nutella for Christmas - and he LOVED them!

    ReplyDelete
  34. OH MY DEAR LORD! Those look amazing!!!! I'm so glad I stopped by here!
    Cerena @ www.secretlifeofamedstudent.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! I am speechless! And the idea of freezing the nutella before prparing the cake is a genius idea!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh My! Pure genius. I must make these as soon as possible. I just love nutella on plain rice cake- I can't wait to try them in a cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This makes me want to go home and try out some other idea with frozen dollops of Nutella! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  38. If your kiddo was one of my students I would add these cookies to his "list," so much better than red pens and loose leaf paper!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Holy Crap! Great idea!

    www.shilohstaste.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. OMG I wish I could send these to school with my girls but alas they are at a nut free school and Nutella counts...maybe as an after school treat :-D Of for me, while they are in school...yum

    ReplyDelete
  41. I don't have a paddle extension on my mixer... Should I hand mix it or should I just use regular beaters?

    ReplyDelete
  42. These are AMAZING! I just whipped up a batch and they were so chewy and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I've had these in my "to do" list for ages. Today is the day! I think I made some of my nutella blobs too big - oh well, just have to eat those and make some smaller ones! Got some ready for the oven now. Thanks for a fantastic blog. Anita, Melbourne, Oz.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover