Friday, March 1, 2013

Gnome Sweet Gnome

gnome group photo gnomegroupparade.jpg
I really wanted to take a picture of one of these gnome cookies on my cooktop and title it "Gnome on the Range," but my cooktop was dirty...and you know those days when you put the back of your hand to your forehead and declare dramatically that you just can't do one.more.thing.  I'm embarrassed to say that happened.

So, could you picture it in your head?  Thanks.

gnome 3 photo gnome3parade.jpg
You might remember back over a year ago that I made some Elf on the Shelf cookies?  I used a template (one of my favorite cookie decorating tricks).  Even though it's a great trick, let's be honest; using a template takes about 5 times as long as a cutter.  So, when superfabulous blog reader Dale MADE COOKIE CUTTERS for Elf on the Shelf and another one of my templates, I did a happy dance (and made cookies)!

gnome side photo gnomesideparade.jpg
To make these little Gnomeo's, you'll need:
gnome outline text photo gnomeoutlinetextparade.jpg
Use a #2 tip to outline the gnome hat, beard & shirt.

Thin the red, white, blue and copper icings with water, a bit at a time, stirring with a silicone spatula, until it is the consistency of a thick syrup.  (Reserve some of the white icing for piping details later.) You'll want to drop a "ribbon" of icing back into the bowl and have it disappear in a count of "one thousand one, one thousand two." Four is too thick, one is too thin.  Count of 2-3 is good.  Cover with a damp dishcloth and let sit for several minutes.

Stir gently with a silicone spatula to pop and large air bubbles that have formed.  Pour into squeeze bottles as needed.

gnome flood text photo gnomefloodtextparade.jpg
Fill in the outlines with the thinned icing, using a toothpick to guide to the edges and to pop large air bubbles.

Let the cookies dry at least one hour.

gnome detail text photo gnomedetailtextparade.jpg
Use #1 tips to add the details: eyes, mouth, pipe. (Alternately, the eyes and mouth can be drawn with a food coloring pen.)

Use the back of a basketweave tip (the smooth side) to pipe the belt, or use a #4 plain tip.  Pipe the buckle in yellow with a #2 tip.

Let dry, uncovered, 6-8 hours or overnight.
(The mushroom tutorial can be found here.)

gnome group 2 photo gnomegroup2parade.jpg
There's no place like gnome. 

38 comments:

  1. Okay, these are seriously adorable and waaaaay too precious to eat. Right? You are so very, very talented my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are too sweet! No place like gnome - ha! I liked that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you forever for this. So stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bridget, these are SO darling! And how very sweet that Dave made cutters of your templates - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh these are so cute!!!!!! Love the gnomes!!!!! Love the colors you used too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are the most adorable cookies ever. So colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These gnomes make me giddy! Just another one of your cookies to add to my LOVE list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your gnomies!!

    Rolling with my gnomies.

    There's no place like gnome.

    I could go on and on. But for your sanity, I won't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The little toadstools alone completely slayed me - too adorable for words!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dont know how you do it... every single time I come here I think, "Now THIS is my favorite cookie!" Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gnome on the range!! LOL! I can't stop giggling.
    You really do make the most amzing cookies! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute! I love the colors! Gnome on the range... hehe, I can picture it! =) My hubby works with people who... hmm, well, use a lot of street lingo. He has a drawing by his desk with a little gnonme, and it says "Gnome sayin?" (As in "you know what I'm saying?")

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore these!!! Love gnomes and mushrooms and you've just made them so cute!! Off to pin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My hubby would go crazy.... a gnome collector!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the cute little pipe in his mouth! I think I am going to set aside a lovely chunk of time to use a template to make little leprechauns. They are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cutie pettuties, Bridget! And trust me, no room for judgement here on a dirty cooktop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Girlfriend, these decorated sugar cookies have me gettin' all giddy. LOVE fairytales, gnomes and polka-dotted mushrooms! Brilliant job on the color selection for icing and the decorating. And, I love how you threw in some daisy-like flowers for that perfect dreamy fairytale shot! Pinning... xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want a whole set of these gnomes to be my own.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are adorable! Too cute to eat! Thanks for sharing your talent, your cookies always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Like all your cookies, these are incredible (my twins were gnomes for Halloween when they were 3 and how I wish I known about these then). Here's my dilemma. My son is allergic to eggs. We have a super egg-free sugar cookie recipe for great cut-out cookies. Do you have any suggestions for an egg-free royal icing substitute that will flow half as nicely as your lovely icing?! I (and he) always look on at your beautiful designs with envy but I'm at a loss here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there!

      I would use a glaze icing for decorating. Check out i am baker's blog & cookies....she decorates beautifully with the glaze. (If you have my book Decorating Cookies, Amanda from i am baker shares the recipe in the guest baker section.) :) Happy baking!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! I cannot wait to get started :)

      Delete
  21. I can't even begin to tell you how cute these are!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh so cute!! You've done it again, these are adorable beyond words!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never seen Gnomeo and Juliet, but I wanted to, and lucky for me it's on abc family tonight :)

    These gnome cookies are really sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your skills are amazing, I wish I could use icing with half the skill you have and I would be happy. These cookies are amazing thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are adorable! I totally want to see "gnome on the range" :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. So adorable Bridge!! Just like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing! I love popping by your blog--these cookies make me smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gnomes are the BEST! I like your blog the best out of all the baking blogs I follow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Does your friend Dale sell his elf/gnome cookie cutter? If so, where can I get it???

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover