Thursday, May 3, 2012

New Home Cookies

Cottages are some of my favorite cookies to make.  You can click here, here, and here to see a few versions.
When my sister, who moved recently (boo), asked me to make some cookies for their realtor, I wanted to jazz them up a little bit.

So, I decided to make a little new home cookie collection.  When I make "collections," I really try to keep them in the same color scheme.  Using the same colors makes the cookies look really pretty and coordinated, and ALSO makes the decorating process so much easier.

Not only are they a nice treat for a great realtor, these make perfect housewarming cookies.  Remember that deal we made about welcoming new neighbors?!?

You'll notice on the houses that the door is filled in with piping consistency icing giving it a raised look.  This is either because I like the "textured" look of the door, or because I was feeling too lazy to thin another color of icing.  Or both.  You pick.

Rather than give you a post with 112 pictures and the tutorials for all of the cookies, I'll post the cottage tutorial in this post, and the picket fence, key and SOLD sign will come soon.
{Ooo...the suspense.}


To make the cottage cookies, you will need:

  • house-shaped sugar cookies
  • royal icing, divided and tinted with AmeriColor Bright White, Egg Yellow, Turquoise, Deep Pink, Electric Pink, and Leaf Green
  • disposable icing bags
  • couplers and tips, #2, #3, #1
  • toothpicks
  • squeeze bottles
Use #2 tips to outline the house and roof in white and yellow icings.  Reserve some of each of these icings for piping details.
{Yes, use WHITE food coloring.}

Thin the white and yellow icings with water, a bit at a time, stirring with a silicone spatula, until it is the consistency of a thick syrup.  You'll want to drop a "ribbon" of icing back into the bowl and have it disappear in a count of "one thousand one, one thousand two." Four is too thick, one is too thin.  Count of 2-3 is good.  Cover with a damp dishcloth and let sit for several minutes.

Stir gently with a silicone spatula to pop and large air bubbles that have formed.  Pour into squeeze bottles as needed.

Flood the cookies with the thinned icing.  Use a toothpick to guide to edges and pop large air bubbles.

Use a #3 tip to fill in the door with turquoise icing, using a back and forth motion.

Let the cookies sit for 1 hour.

With a #2 tip, add a doorknob and roof detail in yellow icing.  Add the window detail with white, also with a #2.

Use #1 tips to pipe the flower box details, in pink and green icings.

Let the cookies dry uncovered 6-8 hours, or overnight.

Home Sweet Home.
{literally}

59 comments:

  1. You are such an artist, Bridget! WOW! They are gorgeous! I can't believe how awesome they turned out...AND that you are giving them away to a realtor (who wasn't even your realtor). You're such a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look cute,,,even I do designing on paper before doing on cookies,,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so beautiful - a lovely housewarming gift indeed. I love the colours - they look so fresh and bright - exactly what you hope for when moving into a new home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your creativity is beyond words.. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are so cute!.....really nice tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, you come up with the prettiest cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So so cute! I have a little cottage cutter that I haven't' ever used...at least I don't think I used it. Maybe I did? But I don't think so.
    Whatev, your cottages are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so cute, I need house cookies, and I want them now LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an adorable set of cookies and I love the colours. They just started building a new home across the street from us so soon I'll be making some *welcome to your new home* cookies soon. Your sister's realtor must have loved these. I hope your sister and her family are very happy in their new home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bridget those are super fun. Love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a lazy blog follower. I rarely comment anymore. But I had to on these! I LOVE THEM. So adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are my kind of cookies! Sooo cute! I've been looking for a fence cookie cutter for ages!! (or crayons stuck together). Would you mind letting me know where you got it? Thank you Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth!

      The fence is actually hand-cut from a template. I'll blog the details with that tutorial. :) Crayons are a great idea....my crayon cutter is HUGE, though. ;)

      Delete
  13. I would move just to have some of those darling cookies!!! I. Love. Them. ♥ Love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so cute! In New Mexico folklore, painting the front door of a house is a sign of protection (i.e., Mother Mary's blue cloak) and welcome

    -gwen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I meant "painting the front door of a house turquoise" I love the turquoise doors on your cookies!

    -gwen

    ReplyDelete
  16. This collection *almost* makes me want to move (back in) :) Thanks for getting our dry cleaning, neighbor ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love the colors you used in these cookies...they are all so happy and gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are freaking adorable -- especially the fence ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love the fence cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  20. SO CUTE!!! Love how simple and sweet they are! The colors are key, the right combo of colors being selected, I mean. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are absolutely adorable, Bridget! Now I need to find a good excuse to make them... I'm guessing my hubby won't go for buying a new house just so I can make cookies. I'll work on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! they are so cute!... just one quick question... do you make your own cookie cutters? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a sweet collection!! Beautiful colors and details!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am SO lovin' that picket fence! Can't wait to see your post on that...

    ReplyDelete
  25. These cookies are adorable! I love the color palette, the fences are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your cookies look beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love how you added the flower details to make them extra pretty but still kept it simple!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are lovely. I had an agent approach me recently for gifts for clients and this is a great inspiration. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are super cute! I just started making more cut out cookies, I've got to perfect my piping/flooding abilities. I always add too much flood icing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those are amazing !!! I think that's a fabulous collection, especially the key! You always come up with such great ideas, thank's for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. These cookies are so incredibly pretty, Bridget. Perfect. I'm sure they'll be as amazed as me when they receive them.

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the entire set (especially the colors)! I want to live in a cottage just like that:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. These cookies are just looking amazing! I have to try something like that myself, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  34. These are just amazing.... loved them

    ReplyDelete
  35. "Home sweet home, literally," haha, I love that :) These are definitely very cute! my favorite part are the little roses in the window! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have just recently seen this post in pinterest and am VERY impressed with your cookies. Thanks for sharing and keep on baking!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. i want to move into a new house just so you can make me these cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  38. These are so sweet looking! I love the matching keys, too. And the picket fences.

    ReplyDelete
  39. How adorable are these.
    I always wanna live in your cookie cottages.
    Especially with that picket fence and PINK flowers!
    Love your sketches.
    The turquoise door is the perfect touch.
    What a lucky SISSY you have.
    Hugs to you Girly!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  40. These are seriously so cute! I wish I had an ounce of your talent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. These are so spring-y and beautiful. Whis I could bake like you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love the flower boxes!! Your little swirly roses,are so perfect! Love all the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  43. LOL these are adorable! My boyfriend and I are moving soon at the end of the month so I feel like I should whip up a batch to celebrate our move...though mine would look like a kindegartener's version....beautiful decoraion!

    ReplyDelete
  44. nice idea.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Simples e bonito!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Home sweet home! It's just too adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow, these are lovely. I am just taking up cookie decorating because we recently moved and nobody brought any cookies :( We just put a pool in, you can imagine the noise and mess. I want to make a sort of "I'm sorry" or "thanks for understanding" cookie for the neighbors now that we are done. Maybe a pool theme. I'm drawing a blank and hoping for inspiration here. I came your way from Pioneer Woman and just ordered your book too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover